During their training towards becoming b’nai mitzvah, our students will apply the skills developed in Hebrew school as they engage in the study of the reading and chanting of our ancient texts and prayers. Our goal is to empower our students with the ability to participate comfortably and proficiently in a Jewish worship setting while kindling within them a love of Jewish liturgy and tradition that will stay with them beyond the b’nai mitzvah year.
Our tutoring program begins approximately six (6) months prior to the student’s b’nai mitzvah service date. At the conclusion of the tutoring process, we expect that our students will be able to accomplish the following:
- Chant / recite the blessings for reading the Torah and Haftarah (a reading from the Prophets).
- Chant / read a portion of the weekly Torah reading as well as the Haftarah.
- Summarize the ideas of the Torah and Haftarah readings.
- Recite the major Hebrew prayers from the service with fluency and accuracy.
- Demonstrate understanding of the basic meanings of the prayers and blessings studied.
Understanding that all children are different, we adapt our course of study for b’nai mitzvah to meet the needs and ability levels of each individual student.